It only took a few tweaks and voila, a scrumptuous dish that goes perfectly with a salad.
Iowa Girls Eats for the inspiration!
3 Acorn Squash (cut in half w/seeds removed)
1 head of Cauliflower (cut into small pieces)
1 yellow Onion (diced)
1/3 cup Almond Flour
Splash of Coconut Milk
1 lb Turkey Sausage
1 TBLS. Parsley flakes
Oil of your choice (I used Grapeseed Oil)
1. Brush a little oil on your squash halves, salt and pepper and spread out on a sheet pan (covered in tinfoil)
Bake in the oven on 425 degrees until soft. About 25minutes.
2. Meanwhile you need to start browning your Sausage in a saute’ pan.
While it’s cooking you can cut up your cauliflower and onion (if you haven’t already done so)
NOTE…about now your acorn squash is finishing up. Set them on your serving tray for a minute, toss the cauliflower on the tray and cook in the oven to get soft. (you can add a bit of oil, salt and pepper to taste)
3. Set your cooked and crumbled sausage aside. In the same pan toss in your onion to lightly brown.
Once caramelized, add onions to your sausage in the bowl.
4. Add your softened Cauliflower, most of the Almond Meal, a splash of Coconut Milk and Parsley to the bowl and mix together.
5. Return your Squash to your baking sheet. Stuff each acorn with your stuffing until it is all gone. Sprinkle the remainder of your almond meal on the top, like bread crumbs.
6. Place back in the oven for a couple minutes. Serve nice and warm, Makes 6 servings.
We loved these, even my kids liked them. However, I must warn you it is a very sweet dish. My husband and I liked it better when we added a little heat, jarred jalapenos, hot sauce etc. This would be great with a little curry added in. Or even sub out the onions for some fresh jalapeño peppers.
This dish is so perfect for the holidays. I will be bring this one with me around to family functions this year for sure.